The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution

Bertrand Russell

By

On 18 May 2012

Android

Tags: , ,

Unfortunately, TwLauncher has stoppedWhilst tinkering with my Samsung SG2 in a vain effort to get my calendars sync’ing properly via ActiveSync I some how managed to break the TouchWiz Launcher (I believe clearing the calendar application data cache was to blame – may have been a coincidence, but I doubt it).

This caused a Unfortunately, TwLauncher has stopped error to be displayed after a long pause with a blank screen when trying to do pretty much anything.  Turning my precious smartphone into an infuriating lump of screen and plastic.

There are various fixes to be found on the internet, with varying levels of severity, including…

• Installing an alternative launcher from the app store (aka Google Marketplace, or Play Store, or whatever its called today)
  • Factory default reset

…none of which I fancied, thankfully there was a simpler solution for my issue.

Firstly, what does TwLauncher do?  Its the application name for Samsung’s TouchWiz interface, which provides home screen customisation, gesture controls and so on.  Its responsible for much of the look and feel that you experience with a Samsung Android phone (yes, TouchWiz is also present in other Samsung devices that have touchscreen interfaces other than Android).  This means that if TouchWiz is knackered, then the look and feel (and usability) of your device is also knackered.

To Fix…

Be aware that this will reset any home and application screen customisation you may have done.  It may take a few attempts to get into Settings, be patient and keep trying

1. Go to Settings, and to Applications
  2. Go to the All tab
  3. Scroll down the list until you find TwLauncher
  4. Go into TwLauncher and press Clear data

TwLauncher App TwLauncher Clear DataIf this doesn’t fix the problem for you, then you’ll have to try one of the more drastic options.

If the repetitive error is thwarting your attempts to fix, then you might need to install a new Launcher.  Browse to Google Play Store and login.  Then select a new (free) launcher and send it to your device.

15 Comments to “Fix Repetative TwLauncher Stopped Error”

1. Lukas van Ginneken says:

This works. However, to get here, I first had to get another launcher as it was impossible to perform these tasks with the TwLauncher. I downloaded GO launcher from play.google.com on my desktop computer and it downloaded automatically onto my phone. Using this launcher (which gives an entirely different look and feel to your phone, so you have to learn to get around it first) I then cleared the data. Then I cleared the data of the GO launcher to get back the old TwLauncher.

I also figured out what caused this hangup in the first place: I added a calendar widget to my desktop. Apparently the standard (day view) calendar widget is broken.

2. J-LK says:

Thanks sir, I too got stuck with this problem, seemingly completely out of the blue with absolutely no immediate changes preceding the event. Your tip was a life-saver!

3. Michael Chan says:

In regard to you fix for the TW Home problem. Can you please read what you wrote and make it more simple to understand. The process steps are not too clear.

Do you go back to the old TW launcher after using Go launcher? Not very clear. Please rewrite. Tx

• Simon Strutt says:

In Lukas solution he does go back to the original TW launcher, from his comment he appears to have…
      - Installed the GO launcher to get control of his phone again.
      - Cleared the data from the TW launcher (as per the blog post)
      - Then cleared the data from the GO launcher to go back to the original TouchWiz (assume he could uninstalled the GO launcher as well)

4. Alex says:

My phone is experiencing similar problems and i have tried installing go launcher and various other alternative launcher apps on my desktop and installing them on my phone only to find that a similar error message comes up with all of them too when i try to use them, any suggestions? Thanks :)

• Simon Strutt says:

Not sure – you could try removing any recently added Apps that might be causing the probs (you can do this from the Google Play store – you don’t need to do it from your phone). However you’ll lose any data for those apps, and if they’re paid for you’d probably have to pay to reinstall.

You may have go down the factory reset route, which will wipe your phone. Settings and apps can be re-installed from Google, but locally stored data such as photos may be lost.

5. eli says:

hi
    I have Galaxy tab 10.1 and the TwLauncher Error doesn’t let me do anything.
    how can i install a new launcher?
    -and i don’t have access to Google market.-
    -courtesy of politics :| -
    pls help.

6. K. B. says:

Wow, i had the same issue. Out of nowhere started getting message about twlauncher not working. I googled my problem and got a answer that worked. Clear the cache. Well i did and that solved the problem. I was then able to use google again which was the only thing not working. Well im getting the message again…twlauncher not working. Only its not preventing me from using googpe. I just keep getting it. Should i install another launcher?

• Simon Strutt says:

If you’ve tried clearing the cache a few times and the problem keeps coming back you’ve probably got to either work out what’s causing problem, or install a different launcher.

Have you installed any new apps recently, or made any settings changes? Even something seemly innocuous that’s changed recently may be causing the problem.

7. HamidReza says:

باسلام و تقدیم احترام
    از راهنمایی تصویری مفیدتان بسیار متشکرم
    این روش در مورد گوشی Galaxy S I9003
    من ، مشکل را برطرف کرد.
    البته بهتره که ابتدا از طریق
    Bluetooth
    یک
    Launcher
    سبک نصب بشه و سپس از طریق منوی تنظیمات آن ، و پاک کردن داده های
    TwLauncher
    مشکل را برطرف کرد
    **************************************************************
    Greetings and best regards,
    Thank you very much for your helpful tips
     My phone is Galaxy S I9003
    I solved the problem.
    Of course, the better Way is that Install another Launcher Through Bluetooth
    and then Go to Settings menu, and delete data
    TwLauncher
    Problem solved.
    From Iran.

8. Piotr Wozniacki says:

I cannot even go into Settings->Apps; what do I do?

• Simon Strutt says:

See Lukas’ comment above…

Lukas van Ginneken:

Log into Google from your PC, from there you can select a new launcher and have it sent to your device. That should give you control of your phone back.

Good luck…

9. brenda says:

i was able to install the the luancher and go into the alloications and into to Twlauncher…but it doesnt give me the option to clear data… any suggestions?

10. Valery says:

I’ve get rid from this problem by restoring some stock apps (like ap news widget), clearing twlauncher cache and – the most important – removing calendar widget from homescreen. Before I’ve made several wipes (cache, dalvik cache, internal memory fromat) and several ODIN flashes, but nope – as soon I’ve done all my usual stuff like removing useless apps and installing useful widgets all had happened again.